This revised version of ‘Liver First’ has been produced by AIVL to provide accurate information to help people who use or have used injecting/illicit drugs to minimise risks and make safer choices.
The liver is a large organ on the right hand side of the body protected by the lower ribs. It has many different and important tasks that play an essential role in good health. Just a few of these are:
- Processing digested food and converting this into energy
- Storing iron, vitamins and other essential nutrients
- Controlling levels of fat and sugar in the blood
- Destroying toxic substances such as alcohol and other drugs
- Fighting infection in the body Hepatitis C can reduce your liver’s ability to do its job.