Policy and Projects Officer (identified peer position)
Representing a group of state & territory member organisations, The Australian Injecting & Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL) is the national peak organisation that works to give a voice to the community of people who use drugs at a national level. Our work is focused on promoting better health outcomes for people who use and inject drugs, whilst making an ongoing contribution to the public health response to drug-related harms such as blood borne viruses and illicit drug overdoses.
We are specifically looking for someone who can draw upon their own lived experience to support this important work.
About the job:
AIVL Policy & Project Officers are responsible for undertaking a range of projects and tasks aimed at supporting and advancing the health and human rights of people who use (and have used) illicit drugs.
The roles and responsibilities of AIVL’s Policy & Project Officers include, but are not limited to:
- Undertaking a range of activities and projects related to health promotion.
- Representing AIVL at a range of conferences.
- Engaging with the AIVL peer community to ensure that the work undertaken by AIVL includes the ‘voice’ of people who use drugs.
- Conduct research in areas related to AIVL’s mission, strategic plan and funding contracts.
- Collaborating with a range of stakeholders inclusive of AIVL’s member organisations.
- Enhancing knowledge to the community around safe injecting and other drug use practices.
- Providing support and contribution to AIVL’s policy priorities.
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Lived experience of the challenges, marginalisation and stigmatisation encountered by people who use (or have used) drugs and/or a thorough demonstrated understanding of those issues.
- Knowledge of the principles of Harm Reduction.
- A great ability to communicate and collaborate.
- Tertiary qualifications in a related discipline ie. Health, Human Rights, Psychology, Social Sciences. (or relevant life experience that would support them in undertaking the role)
What AIVL has to offer:
- Great professional development opportunities.
- A flexible working environment, with some potential to work remotely.
- Salary Packaging benefits.
AIVL’s office is based in Canberra, though for the right candidate we are willing to look for ways to accommodate working from other capital cities in Australia. We are also willing to discuss either full-time or part-time work options.
To apply for the role, please submit your CV, along with a 2-page cover letter, via seek, with a ‘pitch’ about why you would be the ideal candidate by midnight Thursday 4 August 2022.
To have a chat about the role, or to request a copy of the position description, please contact AIVL's CEO, Jake Docker via email on email@example.com
Apply via Seek: https://www.seek.com.au/job/57801174