The Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL) is the Australian national peak organisation representing the state and territory peer-based drug user organisations and issues of national relevance for people with lived experience of drug use.
AIVL’s purpose is to advance the health and human rights of people who use/have used illicit drugs. This includes a primary focus on reducing the transmission and impact of blood borne viruses (BBVs) including HIV and hepatitis C, and those accessing drug treatment services, through the effective implementation of peer education, harm reduction, health promotion and policy and advocacy strategies at the national level.
Our work is underpinned by values of:
- respecting the rights and dignity of all people
- acknowledging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first Australians and respecting their communities’ traditions, views and ways of life
- valuing diversity and promoting equality and social justice
- advancing evidence-informed approaches to policies, programs and services for people who use/have used illicit drugs
- promoting and protecting the health and human rights of people who use/have used illicit drugs and people accessing drug treatment services
- empowering people who use/have used drugs and people accessing drug treatment services to have ownership and self-determined control over their health and well being
- challenging stigma and discrimination in all its forms against people who use/have used illicit drugs
- supporting the right of people who use/have used illicit drugs to form their own organisations, provide peer-driven services and programs, and represent their own needs and interests
- ensuring the meaningful involvement of people who use/have used illicit drugs in the development of policies, programs and services that affect their lives
- promoting and supporting peer-based and harm reduction approaches
- maintaining productive links with organisations, networks and communities of drug users through effective networking and capacity building
- enabling people who use/inject drugs to protect their health including prevention, treatment and management of blood borne viruses through education, information and a supportive
- working in genuine partnership and collaboration with all relevant stakeholders; and being accountable and responsive to the community we are part of and represent